How embarrassing would it be for a woman if she has unlovely facial hair? It wouldn’t be a pleasant experience for a woman undoubtedly because most women wouldn’t want any visible hair on their faces.
The practice of shaving as a woman has been prevalent for decades. However, there are some common myths in our society about women’s shaving. For example, many women think that shaving will make their facial hairs grow back thicker, which isn’t true in reality.
However, shaving will result in stubble temporarily. So before shaving, a woman shouldn’t fall for the myths. Instead, she should know about the real pros and cons of shaving. Here we will focus on the advantages and disadvantages of shaving your face as a woman.
Also Read: How To Shave Your Chin
Pros Of Shaving your Face as a Woman
Why Should a Woman Shave?
Removal of unwanted facial hair is the first and foremost reason for a woman to shave her face. Some women have an unusual amount of facial hair called “hirsutism,” which spoils their beauty. For them, shaving is the right solution. In addition to this, downy hair or peach fuzz can be another problem for women. Shaving can solve this issue too.
Advantages of Shaving as a Woman
- Compared to other hair removal methods such as waxing, tweezing, epilating, etc., shaving is pain-free. Other hair removal methods involve pulling out hair from the root, which is painful.
- By removing the top layer of your dead skin, shaving keeps your skin soft and smooth.
- Other hair removal methods cost a lot of money and time, but shaving won’t cost you that.
- Facial hair spoils the effectiveness of skincare products. Therefore, women who apply skincare products in the hope of sustaining their beauty may not get better results by having darned vellus hair.
- Many women use depilatory cream to get rid of unwanted facial hair. Those creams contain harmful chemicals, which are harsh to your skin. So, shaving is a better option than using those creams.
- By shaving, you can remove tiniest hairs such as the finer, light-colored downy strands called vellushair. Waxing is not so effective in removing them.
- Now there are electric shavers for women available in the market, which are compact and attractively designed. Therefore, you can carry it in your purse easily and take it anywhere.
Also Read: How To Make Your Beard Look Thicker?
Cons of Shaving your Face as a Woman
There are some common cons or demerits of shaving women’s faces. Here I will discuss some of them.
Disadvantages of Shaving as a Woman
- If you shave, hairs will not grow back thicker, but shaving will stimulate hair’s fast growth. That’s why if you get into the habit of shaving, you have to do it regularly.
- If your facial hair is dark and coarse, the regrowth will be stubby by shaving. The reason is, shaving cuts the hair off at the thickest point.
- As the hair grows from beneath the skin, there will be a chance of shadow effect being caused if you have dark and coarse skin.
- Hairs that curl back into your skin are called ingrown hairs. If you are a woman with medium to dark skin, you are prone to ingrown hairs if you shave.
- If you shave incorrectly, you will tend to get razor burns and nicks. For those having sensitive skin, shaving would not be an ideal method for hair removal.
- Hair regrowing beneath your skin surface causes inflammation. Shaving beefs up hair regrowth and thus causes this inflammation, which is also called razor bumps.
- Shaving cannot give you a long-lasting effect as compared to waxing. Therefore, it is not a permanent solution to hair removal.
Hopefully, by going through this article, you got some valuable information about the pros and cons of shaving as a woman. So, you can now easily decide whether you should shave or follow other methods to eliminate unwanted and gross-looking facial hair.