Many men like to keep a mustache. But sometimes, when someone grows a mustache eventually, it doesn’t suit his face that well. Besides, mustache also causes discomfort to many people. So if you are a man, then in these cases, the only question that comes to your mind is, “how to shave the mustache?”
There are different methods to shave your mustache off, such as using an electric razor, using a cartridge, or using a straight razor. Here we will discuss various mustache shaving methods.
So, How To Shave Your Mustache
Shaving Your Mustache Using an Electric Razor
- Since most electric razors are not suitable for shaving long and thick hair, you should trim away your mustache first of all. Use a beard trimmer for this purpose.
- Apply a pre-shave product such as pre-shave oil. Most pre-shave products for electric razors are alcohol-based. You can get a closer shave with less irritation by using a pre-shave product as they help the hair stand straight up. If you have sensitive skin, you should apply pre-shave powders instead of alcohol-based products.
- A nice and taut surface over your upper lip makes it easy for the electric razor to pass through. For this, pull down around the edges of your mouth gently with fingers.
- Different types of electric razors are available in the market, such as a rotary shaver, foil shaver, etc. If you use a foil shaver, use straight strokes to shave your mustache. But if you use a rotary shaver, you should use a small circular motion for a perfect shave. Make slow passes, no matter what kind of shaver you are using. You are also recommended to shave with the grain while shaving your mustache to reduce the risk of cutting yourself.
- Apply aftershave lotion for a comfortable feeling once you shave off your mustache.
Also read: How To Shave Your Chin
Using a Cartridge or Safety Razor To Shave Your Mustache
- Begin shaving by trimming your mustache with a pair of clippers or small pairs of scissors. By trimming, you can get a clearer view of your mustache, and thus you can know which to work. Moreover, shorter hair has less likelihood to catch in the razor.
- The heat helps to soften the hair and open the pores. Therefore, you can have a close shave with less irritation. So, prepare your skin for a shave by cleaning your face with warm water. The best way for this is to shave during the shower in warm water. If you are not shaving during the shower, then take a towel, wet it with warm water, and wring it. After that, apply the hot towel on your mustache for 2/1 minutes.
- Now apply pre-shave oil around your upper lip because it gives you an extra layer of lubrication and saves your skin from irritation.
- Make a creamy lather with shaving gel or soap and apply it on your face. It not only exfoliates your skin but also makes the hair soft. Use a shaving brush for this purpose.
- In this step, use a fresh, sharp razor heated with warm water and make short strokes in the same direction with the grain. Put your fingers over the scruff and check the grain direction. To give yourself a taut and flat shaving surface, stretch your upper lip downwards. If you have a thick mustache, you may have to apply for more passes. Shave carefully to avoid nicks and cuts by not applying too much pressure.
- Once you shave off your stash, rinse your face with cold water to soothe your skin. You can also apply an aftershave lotion for a comfortable feeling.
Also read: How To Shave Without Shaving Cream
Tips To Shave Your Mustache Using Cartridge/Safety Razor and Straight Razor
- For safety razors, hold the razor at about a 30-degree angle and do not apply extra pressure. Let the weight of the razor simply slide across the skin. So, guide it with your hand instead of pulling.
- If you use a cartridge, keep the plane of the cutting parallel to your skin.
- In case of using a straight razor, hold the razor at a 30-degree angle. Tighten the skin on the upper lip by tilting your nose up slightly with the freehand. You are advised never to use the blade in sawing motion when you use a straight razor as it is risky.