What if your face mistakenly cuts when you shave? It is definitely a painful and irritating experience.
However, for some common shaving mistake, such a thing happens. But by maintaining precautions while shaving and using appropriate skincare, we can reduce the possibility of cutting. In this article, we will show you how to shave without cutting yourself by discussing the correct shaving techniques.
The common shaving mistakes responsible for cutting yourself:
- First of all, when you don’t take enough time to shave and shave hurriedly, you will tend to cut yourself mistakenly.
- If your skin is not well prepared before shaving, your skin may also cut during shaving.
- If your shaving razor is too blunt and old, it increases the risk of cutting and irritation.
- If you do not apply enough shaving foam or gel or other skin moisturizing elements before shaving, your skin may cut as well.
- If you do not use a quality razor and press too hard on your razor while shaving, you may mistakenly cut yourself.
Steps How to Get Close Shave without Cutting Yourself
Preparing Your Skin For Safe Shaving
- The most effective way to prepare your skin for a shave is to take a shower before shaving. Use warm water so that you can moisten and soften your skin perfectly. Skin oils or dead skin cells tend to clog your razor blade. A clogged razor blade may eventually lead to cuts, nicks or razor burns by hopping around your skin. But if you take a shower before shaving, you can get rid of skin oils and dead skin cells, which eventually makes the shaving process easy. Stay in the shower for 10 to 15 minutes, not more or less than that. If you spend too much time in the shower, your skin will start to wrinkle and make it complicated for shaving.
- After having a shower, use an exfoliating scrub or bristled brush to exfoliate your skin. Use the brush or scrub on the shaving areas in a circular motion. Exfoliation helps keep the dead skin cells away and saves the razor blade from clogging.
- Now apply the right amount of shaving cream, gel, or other alternatives on the shaving area so that the razor can glide smoothly across your skin. If your skin is too sensitive, you can use shaving cream/gel, specially made for sensitive skin.
Also Read: Best Foil Shaver for Safe Shaving
Right Way To Shave Without Cutting Yourself
- Use a new and sharp razor to shave your face. Your razor should also be free from moisture and rust. Dirty and rusty razor is prone to cause infections from bacteria, and that’s why the razor should be clean enough.
- The angle of hair growth is called grain. To steer clear of irritation, you should shave with the grain. Let your razor travel smoothly to get rid of cuts and razor burns.
- Applying a lot of pressure on the razor while shaving might do the job faster, but it increases the chance of nicks and cuts on your skin. So it is better to avoid doing that. It is also recommended not to use long strokes when you shave. While shaving your face, the strokes should be 1-2 inches.
- To avoid nicks, cuts and razor burns and shave smoothly, you should not shave your face so hurriedly. It is always better to try to go slow.
- Razors having 1-2 blades tend to drag against your skin and lead to cutting yourself. That is why; it is wise to use a multi-blade razor while shaving.
Taking Care of Your Razor After The Shaving
- After each shaving session, the razor is supposed to come in contact with bacteria, germ, and dead skin, etc. So, to maintain proper hygiene, the razor should be cleaned with warm water after every use.
- After rinsing with hot water, the razor should be dried, and it should also be preserved in a dry place. If you store it in a wet spot, the razor blade will be likely to rust when it comes in contact with water.
- You should make sure that the razor blade is always sharp enough for the best performance. If you find your razor blade getting dull, it should be replaced.
Being a little bit careful while shaving, you can reduce the chance to cut yourself even though you get a close shave. Following the procedure and remembering the important points mentioned above will help you to shave without cutting yourself.